Upsell me

I'm about to buy a DiddyBorg Red. I am going to buy as much as possible from this site because of the extremely thorough instructions offered. So, last thing I do before I order something and get it shipped internationally is make sure I am buying everything I need for my rc car.

Should I buy the Triborg for other addons like:

What is XLoBorg's practical uses? It just says which way it is going? Why should I buy this?

What is UltraBorg's practical uses? Program it to slow down when it's getting close to an object?

Do I need Diablo or something similar?

Do I need the WiFi and Bluetooth upgrades now that the Rasp Pi 3 includes both?

Can I GPS track it?

I know these are noob questions, but I have been looking into this project for a two months now and just want to jump in and get started.

piborg's picture

Okay, I will go through each in turn :)

TriBorg+ will make it much easier to attach the boards mentioned above on top of the Raspberry Pi.
There is plenty of space inside the chassis to do this.

XLoBorg has a number of possible uses:

1. Know which direction you re travelling in
  2. See if you are climbing a hill, on flat ground, et cetera
  3. Work out you have been flipped over :)
  4. Detect bumps from impacts

These are mostly useful for autonomous driving or for adding data to a driver display.

UltraBorg could be used for:

1. Sense how far away you are from the next wall and:
    • Slow down if you get close
    • Steer around the wall
  2. Add additional movements using servos, such as a #MeArm
  3. Combine both and automatically pick up objects

This is useful for both extending the functionality of DiddyBorg and sensing the environment.

Diablo is not really needed for DiddyBorg Red Edition.
It is aimed at driving much larger motors, the fitted PicoBorg Reverse has plenty of power for the task.

The built-in WiFi and Bluetooth in the Raspberry Pi 3 are quite good and I would stick with them.
In fact we have found the Bluetooth in the Pi 3 is better for PS3 controllers than most of the dongles :)

We do not have a GPS module at the moment, but you could try then Raspberry Pi GPS HAT.
It should plu into the TriBorg+ fine, but you would need to sort out some mounting posts as the mounting holes will not line up with the other boards.

Subscribe to Comments for "Upsell me"