Problems powering pi from daisy chain connectors

Forums:

Hi,

I am connecting external power to pin 2 and 6 of the daisy chain connector. All other connections are connected to the pi as normal.

When I try and boot the pie it just cycles half way with the rainbow screen over and over. I have removed all servo and sonic connectors and also tried connecting 5v external connection but same problem.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Sorry update on this. It does not boot with hdmi screen connected but it does boot if I remove screen and connect remotely to it.

piborg's picture

It sounds like the 5V supply is struggling to provide enough current to keep everything powered. When the current use is too much it causes the voltage to dip too far below 5V, causing the Raspberry Pi to reset.

The extra current used with the screen attached seems to be just enough to exceed the available power. Since the Pi uses a large amount of current during boot it causes the perpetual resetting cycle you are seeing.

One thing that might be limiting the supply is the wires between the supply itself and the daisy-chain connector. Longer wires and thinner wires provide more resistance, making it harder for the supply to provide enough current. I would try using the shortest wires possible and see if it helps.

Subscribe to Comments for "Problems powering pi from daisy chain connectors"