Power an Intel NUC from ThunderBorg?

I am considering the MonsterBorg for an autonomous UVG research platform. As I need quite a bit of compute horsepower I will be using an Intel NUC i7. My query is related to whether I will be able to power and interface the NUC to the ThunderBorg board, directly.
Intel® NUC Kit NUC5i7RYH 87570

I am planning on using a USB to I2C converter to connect the NUC to the ThunderBorg and run the python driver on the NUC - which I can customise if necessary.

The required power supply input for the NUC model I listed above is 19V @ 3.43A, which is 65W.
The processor's maximum TDP is 28W. It has DC input through the external 5.5/2.5 mm jack: 12-19V +-10%.
Would it be feasible to adapt the power output from the ThunderBorg to drive the board directly rather than an external UPS?

Any suggestions and tips on potential problems I may come across would be very appreciated.

Cheers,

Antoan

piborg's picture

You will definitely need a separate supply. The ThunderBorg uses the battery pack directly as the supply for the motors and generates a 5V @ 1.5A supply for the Raspberry Pi, nowhere near enough for the computer you will be using.

You should be able to use a USB to I2C converter to connect to the ThunderBorg and control the motors from the NUC.

Much appreciated.

Subscribe to Comments for "Power an Intel NUC from ThunderBorg?"