Using PIBorg motors /chassis but L298N Dual H Bridge DC Stepper Motor Driver Module

Hi Guys,

I am littel confused. Based on my good experoence with my monster borg, I decided to buy motors , mounts, wheels, chassis from Piborg, to build my own robot. It's more expensive but of good quality. In my electronic stuff, I found a brand new L298N Dual motor driver board. I used this type in several other smaller robots. Strange things, nothing works. Using PiBorg Motor 12V 450RPM - 42mm, Battery Holder (10 x AA) and a PI 3 a+, nothing happens. Good working Python code used with the same motor driver board nothing. The motors still stay dead. I measeured the power exit to motors, I have 12 Volt.
Any ideas, what happens? Many thx in a advance.

kind regards

Peter

piborg's picture

The P42UK12 motors (12 V, 450 RPM, 42 mm) are fairly power hungry and have a rather large stall current of about 12 A (see here). The L298N driver chips are good for 2 A sustained or 3 A absolute maximum for a very short burst (datasheet here).

Put simply these motors need a much more powerful control board to deliver the current required to drive them. We usually use them with our Diablo controller which can provide more than enough current per output (55 A maximum).

Hi,

many thx, so referring the list, I could use the P20UK6, P25/28UK12 motors? Am i rigth?
I would prefer this, because of re-using my python code :-(

kind regards

Peter

Hi,

enclosed my 'configuration' for the L298N board. Does this makes sense.

Many thx in advance

Peter

piborg's picture

I think the DiddyBorg V1 Perspex will only fit the mounts such that the 25 mm motors can be used. Basically the holes in the chassis need to be in slightly different places to fit the mounts so the 28 mm motors can be used. I am also not sure if they are far enough apart as the 28 mm motors are slightly longer as well.

Everything else is fine. Ideally you should use one output from the L298N per motor.

piborg's picture

We have checked the motors and the 28 mm motors fit the mount correctly, but they are indeed too long to be mounted to the DiddyBorg V1 Perspex :(

The 25 mm motors are the same ones we used on the DiddyBorg V1 Red Edition, so they fit correctly :)

Hi,

enclosed the configuration of my robot. Could you please check, if this would fit. The ultraborg and thunderborg controller should be daisy-chained, so I think one 12 Volt batterie pack is enough?
One idea is to connect my PI Senshat daisychained to the ultraborg, would this work (12V batterie to thunderborg daisychain ultraborg to it, daisychain senshat to the ultraborg to use pin 1-6 for it.
Would this work (sdc/sda address adapted)?
Is there a separate distance holder set available to use all three perspex panes?
Many thx in advance.

Peter
regardly
Peter
Peter

Attachments: 
piborg's picture

Yes, that looks like it will all fit together :)

Once you have made the order let us know what the order number is and we will add the extra posts in for free :)

Subscribe to Comments for "Using PIBorg motors /chassis but L298N Dual H Bridge DC Stepper Motor Driver Module "