ThunderBorg crashing when Red DiddyBorg2 spins

Hi,

I received my new motor and installed it and now the motor runs. Playing around with the examples, specifically diddy2web.py it all runs fine until I try and spin or turn. Going forward is fine on any surface. Going back ditto.

However, when I try and spin (or turn), the unit either turns extremely slowly (this is on laminate floor) or not at all, with the wheel associated with the new motor not moving. After a while the program stalls on the Pi (e.g. the feed from the camera stops) which I guess is the ThunderBorg crashing (the leds start doing things - green, blue, off, orange). The Pi also resets in the VNC session I'm using to control it.

I also tried this in IDLE, setting TB.SetMotor1(0.5) and TB.SetMotor2(-0.5) with a similar issue, however here the TB just doesn't move (the motors are still making noise), with the problem wheel not moving. Setting the speed to 1.0/-1.0 via IDLE results in the behaviour above i.e. a very small bit of movement and then the TB resets/crashes.

The new motor runs forward/back fine (it doesn't offer as much resistance when I touch it with my hands if it is running as the others), and getting 2 duds in a row is unlikely. I've checked the wiring, undone it and redone it. Inspection shows that the wires are making a good connection.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

piborg's picture

Both the lack of power turning and the resetting when trying to move tend to suggest a lack of power. I suspect the batteries are probably the problem.

If you are using rechargeable AAs I would suggest giving them a full charge as it is likely they are getting flat.

If you are using non-rechargeable AAs I would suggest trying rechargeable ones instead. We have found that the non-rechargeables do not provide as much current and therefore provide less power to the motors.

I'm using (new) non-rechargeable AAs so that might explain it. I'll put an order in for rechargeables and see what happens. Thanks for responding so quickly.

Subscribe to Comments for "ThunderBorg crashing when Red DiddyBorg2 spins"