Rechargeable batteries for DiddyBorg v2

Hi

I’ve just a DiddyBorg v2. Looking at the build instructions, it looks like the batteries are pretty inaccessible once it’s assembled. Rechargeable batteries is obviously the way to go, but can someone advise if there is a charger that can buy which will connect up to the 9v connector to recharge the batteries?

Thanks

Nick

piborg's picture

What you will want to look for is a charger designed for a sealed 12V NiMH battery pack. This will be able to charge all of the batteries in place.

For example this charger would work nicely: https://www.componentshop.co.uk/1-000-2-000ma-smart-charger-for-6-12v-ai...

Most of these battery chargers will have the wrong connector, so you may wish to make a cable to go from the charger to a 9V style connector.

If you are going to use this make sure all of the following are okay:

1. Ensure the positive and negative connections are the correct way around
  2. Only use identical type and brand batteries in the pack, mixing them can be dangerous
  3. Make sure all of the batteries are of the same capacity
  4. Charge and discharge all of the batteries together, do not mix charged and discharged batteries
  5. Test charging the pack outside on its own at least once, make sure the batteries are all okay after charging
  6. If any of the batteries become misshapen, discoloured, or leak stop using them and the charger immediately

Hi

Thanks for your answer! I have a follow up question... If I put 10 x 2500 Mah batteries into the pack, does the charger see this as a single 25,000 Mah battery? The one you posted a link to says that you shouldn't exceed 5000 Mah, so I just wanted to check it would be OK with this capacity.

Or am I even asking the right question here :-) What's the best way to charge the Diddy Borg?

Thanks

Nick

piborg's picture

The batteries in the pack are connected in series, this means that the capacity stays the same but the voltage is multiplied.

In this case we have 10 rechargeable AAs which are 1.2 V and 2500 mAh each. In the battery pack this gives 12 V and 2500 mAh, which is within the limits of the charger :)

Thanks! I really appreciate your support :-)

Subscribe to Comments for "Rechargeable batteries for DiddyBorg v2"