Doodleborg - Is it possible that you could do a overview of your Doodleborg and how you placed the components in it. I am intere

piborg's picture

I think you accidentally put your whole message in the "subject" box instead of the "comment" box :)

Could you reply with your whole message?

I'm interested in the DoddleBorg and specifically to expand its capabilities. For example, adding a bucket to carry items and a robotic folding arm for lifting. My hypothesis, in a rural area, where elderly people can not as easily carry items, it would be ideal to place, i.e. the garbage bag in a bucket and press a button, so the robot can travel to the garbage bin, lifts its arm, picks up the garbage bag and places it in the bin. Then returns home with out interfering and avoiding obstacles for the round trip.

This can be accomplished (with a huge budget and effort?), however, I'm not sure, where to start as I am a newbie with these type of projects. Any help and or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

piborg's picture

I would suggest there are really two separate parts you need to look at for this kind of project:

1. The main robot platform for moving and lifting
  2. The sensors used for doing the autonomous driving

You may well need a large number of different sensors to be able to carry out chores like you describe. The following may be useful to add to the robot:

• A camera to detect objects and find things
  • Distance sensors (ultrasonic, radar, or lidar) to avoid collisions
  • GPS to detect current location approximately
  • Encoders to determine the exact distance travelled by the robot

The best thing would be to make a rough outline of how the robot will actually perform a task like taking out the trash. You can then try and consider what problems it is likely to encounter (e.g. object blocking the path) and try to figure out what it will need to handle these problems.

Thank you for the quick and prompt reply! I have lots of research to do before attempting to build this.

Subscribe to Comments for "Doodleborg - Is it possible that you could do a overview of your Doodleborg and how you placed the components in it. I am intere"